Thursday, August 28, 2014

Pesto

We have fantastic farmer's markets in Seattle. I bought two bunches of organic basil for $4.00 and tonight I made pesto. There is nothing like the aroma of garlic, olive oil and basil.... The recipe is from Jane Brody's Good Food Book and uses less oil than is traditional.



Pesto
3 cloves garlic
1/4 teaspoon salt (if desired)
1/4 cup olive oil
2 cups basil leaves firmly packed
1/4 cup walnuts or pine nuts
½ cup Parmesan cheese
Place basil leaves in food processor with metal blade. Start machine, drop garlic down. When it is finely chopped, pour in oil. Add nuts with machine running. When nuts are ground, add Parmesan. Turn off machine when well blended. Stop machine and scrape sides as needed. Makes about 1 1/4 cup, which generously covers 1 pound pasta.
Note: We freeze pesto in 1 cup containers or 2 tablespoons per ice cube in ice cube trays.

1 comment:

nlbcalgary said...

Well, I don't know if this comment will go through to the blog author or not but I'll write it anyway and see what happens. I am not where my cookbooks are and I wanted to make Jane Brody's pesto recipe. A Google search turned up your blog with the exact recipe andI just wanted to say thank you--nine years after you posted it. I blogged for a number of years but I don't think any of my content still surfaces. I like the look of your blog, and regret that we missed meeting each other when we were both still blogging.
Sincerely, Nita Lou Bryant @nlbcalgary on Instagram